POLICY NO.: RES-10.3.
DATE OF APPROVAL: 28 February 1995; 23 June 2006
Previously Academic Policy A-39. Transferred with amendments to form Research Policy 10.0. (Amendments approved by Academic Board, 7 November 1997).
Further amendments by Research Degrees Committee June 1999, December 2000, February 2002
Further amendments Academic Board August 1999, April 2000, February 2001, February 2002, April 2002; July 2002; June 2003, November 2003; August 2004; June 2006 (amalgamation of Policies RES 10.1 and 11.1); December 2006; February 2010; May 2010; September 2012; November 2014; November 2015
REFERENCE AUTHORITY: Deputy Vice Chancellor and Vice President (Research and Innovation)
Research Degrees Committee is responsible to Academic Board for the conduct of all matters pertaining to higher degrees by research.
The University offers the following higher degrees by research:
Research Degrees Committee is also responsible for oversight of the Academic Regulations for Higher Degrees by Research in accordance with policies of the University. The Academic Regulations, which form part of this policy, are attached and relate to:
1. The University of South Australia shall award the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Doctor of (Discipline) and Masters by Research degrees, in accordance with the practice and terminology used in the Australian higher education system.
2. The Research Degrees Committee of the Academic Board shall be responsible for administration of the Academic Regulations for Higher Degrees by Research and shall report to Academic Board the names of those persons to be conferred in the degree.
3. The University will be responsible for providing comprehensive Research Education Support Activities for research degree students.
4. A proposed higher degree by research program should be consistent with the mission of the University of South Australia.
5. Research degree students may be conferred in the relevant award on the following bases:
5.1 Doctoral students must demonstrate that their research work, which may include creative works (such as painting, performance or multi-media presentation), is comprehensive in both theory and methodology and that they have made a significant original contribution to knowledge and/or to the application of knowledge within the field of study.
5.2 Doctor of Philosophy by Portfolio of Publications students must demonstrate their thesis is an original scholarly contribution to knowledge.
5.3 Masters degree by Research students must demonstrate that their work, which may include creative works (such as painting, performance or multi-media presentation), is competent in both theory and methodology and that their thesis makes a contribution to knowledge and/or to the application of knowledge within the specified field of study.
6. Administration of a Higher Degrees by Research will be undertaken in accordance with the Academic Regulations for Higher Degrees by Research