Research Outputs Collection

Research Outputs CollectionWhat is HERDC?

The Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) is the annual collection of statistics from Australian universities about research income. In 2016 research outputs (publications) were no longer included in HERDC and do not form part of the Government’s Block Grant Funding.

Research outputs remain important as they support grant applications, Excellence in Research for Australia, world rankings and other performance measurement activities. Research outputs should be submitted in a timely manner to the Research Outputs Repository. Once lodged and processed by the Library the outputs will appear on Staff Home Pages and in other internal resources.

How are Research Outputs collected?

The Library collects and processes research outputs authored by UniSA staff and research degree students:

  • Each week the Library is notified of new research outputs indexed in Web of Science and Scopus that have been published with a byline of University of South Australia. These will be automatically processed into the Research Outputs Repository.
  • Or researchers can submit an output to the Research Outputs Repository by using the Deposit function. If you have a DOI use that to prepopulate the form, or select the appropriate category and complete the details.

Upload an author accepted manuscript (final peer reviewed version of manuscript/postprint without any publisher formatting) in accordance with the UniSA Open Access Policy. Where possible the Library will make the accepted manuscript publicly available once any embargo conditions have expired, therefore maximising the visibility of your research to a global audience.

For more information see the Research Outputs Repository webpage, or contact the Discovery Services Team in the Library on 8302 5119.

What is the Research Outputs Repository (ROR)?

The Research Outputs Repository (ROR) contains records of research outputs. It includes publications (journal articles, book chapters, conference papers, reviews, reports etc.); selected scholarly articles; creative works (paintings, sculptures, photos, digital works etc.) and Higher Degree Student PhD and Master of Research theses. Publications resulting in whole or in part from publicly funded research must be deposited in the Research Outputs Repository.

Publications in ROR are harvested by Trove, OAIster and Google, the UniSA Library catalogue and Library catalogues from other institutions. Trove is a service provided by the National Library of Australia which is a discovery service that provides increased visibility to Australian research to the world.

What should I contribute to the Research Outputs Repository (ROR)?

Any publication or scholarly output you produce as part of your research for the University should be submitted to the ROR. Preferably this would be an electronic copy of the accepted manuscript (final refereed, revised version/postprint), deposited in the ROR by the author within one month of acceptance for publication in compliance with the University's Open Access Policy. The publisher version will be collected and made open access where permitted by the copyright holder (usually the publisher).