Student Insurance

Students are provided with a number of insurances while participating in approved University related activities such as lectures, field trips and placements.

Note: University insurances do not cover students when they have acted unlawfully or wilfully negligent.

Any enroled student who is injured while participating in an approved University related activity is provided with Personal Accident insurance through the University. This insurance also provides cover while travelling directly to and from these activities and is designed to cover death, disablement or loss of income following an accident. Limited cover is provided for medical and emergency transport expenses, but does not apply to any part of an expense that is wholly or partially claimable through Medicare.

Injured Students should be directed to seek appropriate medical care in a public hospital (unless they hold their own private hospital cover).

  • International students claim against their Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) insurance in the first instance.
  • This is a reimbursement policy. Students are responsible for payment of all medical accounts.
  • An Incident Report should be completed and submitted to the Insurance Office as soon as possible following any incident that may give rise to a claim.
  • The policy excess for Student Personal Accident insurance is $50. The University is not responsible for any expenses incurred by the student that are not recoverable from insurance including expenses that result from illness/sickness.

Cover is provided for students while on approved placement (or otherwise acting on behalf of the University) for any negligent act that results in property damage, illness or injury to a third party (excluding professional services).

Cover is provided for the negligent actions of students on approved placement in respect to breach of professional duty and/or the execution of professional services (excluding medical duties/activities).

Cover is provided for the negligent actions of students under supervision of a qualified practitioner while on approved placement or while acting on behalf of the University, in respect to medical duties/activities, including but not limited to the provision of advice, therapy, treatment or medication.

UniSA provides eligible students with Travel Insurance for study related travel.

Travel Insurance cover is only provided free of charge if:
1. You do not have any pre-existing medical conditions.
2. Your age while travelling does not exceed 74 years.
3. You are receiving academic credit for the study related travel.

If your circumstances are different to the above, you may still be able to access UniSA travel insurance, but your individual circumstances will need to be assessed.

Prior to commencing your travel you must:

You must registration of all travel plans via  a completion of a Business Travel Request (‘BTR’) form;which is a mandatory requirement for all staff and students travelling as part of a university program.

To access the BTR, navigate to your Business Travel portal in Appian. Your portal provides links to the BTR form and your Traveller Profile (which must be updated before each request), as well as links to your current and historic BTRs (when initiated within Appian).

University Travel Insurance coverage is automatically assessed based on your specific answers given within the BTR, follow any directions given in relation to Travel Insurance Cover which appear at the end of the BTR process.

Unless travel arrangements are registered on a BTR prior to commencement of travel, lodging a claim for any event giving rise to a claim, will be problematic.    

It is also strongly recommended that staff and students resister their travel plans with the Australian Government's Smarttraveller service:

Policy excess:
UniSA Travel Insurance has a standard policy excess (or deductible) of $250 and a $500 excess for electronic equipment. The traveller is responsible for any excess deducted on settlement of a claim.

UniSA is not responsible for expenses incurred that are not covered by the policy.

Travel Policy Information:

Please review these documents and contact the Insurance Office if you have any questions.

Students undertaking University approved Placement / Work Experience / Field Trips / Site Visits are provided with relevant insurance by the University as detailed above.

Students do not receive workers compensation entitlements when undertaking unpaid placement.

Conditions for Insurance Cover while on Placement:

  • The Placement is relevant to the students current Program of study.
  • The Placement is University approved by way of a completed FS23 form (staff access only) or Affiliation Agreement.
  • The FS23 form or Affiliation Agreement has been signed by the host organisation.
  • No payment for services is being received by the student.
  • The Placement does not exceed 20 weeks for Compulsory Placements or 4 weeks for Voluntary Placements.
  • The Placement does not extend past the students study end date (specifically once the student has qualified to graduate).
  • Placements in the USA or Canada can not be approved without first seeking advice from the Insurance Office. There are limitations on the insurance we hold in these countries.

Any incident involving, or causing injury to students while undertaking any University activity (such as lectures, field trips and placements) should be reported to the Insurance Office as soon as possible by completing either a relevant Incident Report.