Frequently Asked Questions

Here we answer questions that we get on a regular basis, to help you find your answers more quickly.

Once we receive confirmation from UniSuper that you account has been setup, your Member Number for your UniSuper membership is stored under the Superannuation section of the Financial tab in your myUniSA record. 

You will need this when you're booking appointments with the On-Campus Consultant, registering for one of UniSuper's information sessions or accessing your UniSuper MemberOnline web portal.

If you cannot locate your member number, please let your Super Officer know.

Employer contributions

UniSA is required under our Enterprise Agreement, and through your individual employment agreement, to pay your employer contributions to an account with UniSuper. This means that we do not provide Choice of Fund to our employees.

If you would like to know more about your UniSuper account, we encourage you to make an appointment with UniSuper's On-Campus Consultant.

Member contributions

Staff employed on fixed term or continuing contracts may request for voluntary member contributions to be paid to another compliant super fund. This can be done by completing the Regular contribution to super form and providing the required paperwork.

When you accepted your new role, you would have received an email with your Employment Agreement, which detailed the conditions of your employment. The Agreement will include a clause that provides details of your super entitlements (Page 3), and the email should also include a link to the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for your membership.

Following is a list of the clauses, and a link to the appropriate PDS:

  • Membership to the UniSuper Defined Benefit / Accumulation 2 Division is a condition of employment. You agree to join the Defined Benefit / Accumulation 2 Division at the commencement of employment. [Download PDS (PDF 3.75MB)]
  • To comply with the Superannuation Guarantee Legislation, you are entitled to benefits under the UniSuper Accumulation 1 Division. [Download PDS (PDF 571.79kb)]

If you would like to know more about your new membership, you can find details on the UniSuper website, you can call UniSuper on 1800 331 685, or you can make a free appointment to meet with UniSuper's On-Campus Consultants.

If you don't have access to your Employment Agreement, and you're unsure which clause was in it, you can either contact your PTC Business Partner or your Super Officer.

The easiest way to see what contributions are being paid to your super is to grab your latest payslip, or view the Financial tab in your myUniSA record. 

Your contributions

Contributions being deducted from your pay will show under the Deductions section. These will either be default member contributions, or voluntary member contributions.

Default member contributions are the contribution that you pay as a default as a member of the Defined Benefit Division / Accumulation 2. The deduction will be called something like "UniSuper DBP/ICP". You can find our more about them in UniSuper's fact sheet.

Voluntary member contributions are amounts that you've asked UniSA to pay to super that isn't a default member contribution. 

If you don't have either of these, then you're not currently making a contribution.

Employer contributions

The contributions that you see under the Benefits section are the amounts that the University is paying on your behalf. The description will change based on the division that you're in, and what elections you've made, but they should all include UniSuper.

If something doesn't appear to be correct, or what you're looking at doesn't make sense, your Payroll Team or Super Officer will be able to help you understand.

You can make voluntary member contributions to your super by completing the Regular contribution to super form.

You can nominate the amount of contribution, whether it is a percentage or a dollar amount, and when when you would like to start and stop the contribution if you wish. The deduction can also be nominated as either a before-tax contribution, or an after-tax contribution.

If you have any queries about completing the form, please contact your Super Officer, or Payroll Services.

When you make contributions to super, you can choose how they are deducted from your pay; either before-tax, or after-tax.

Before-tax contributions, also referred to as salary sacrifice, are deducted before you pay income tax. When they are received by your super fund, they will be taxed at 15%. They are known as 'concessional contributions', and along with the employer contributions count toward your Concessional Contribution Cap.

After-tax contributions are deducted from your after-tax pay. Because you have already paid tax on the money there is no tax deducted when the fund receives the contribution. These contributions count toward your Non-concessional Contribution Cap.

Either contribution type may be appropriate for you, however it will depend on your own personal circumstances. We recommend that you seek personal advice to ensure you make the correct decision.

UniSuper provide a page dedicated to information on the Caps on your super contributions if you would like to know more about them.

If you would like to know how you are tracking with one of these Caps, you can do so online by logging into your UniSuper MemberOnline account, or making an appointment with a UniSuper On-Campus Consultant. They can also assist you with understanding what options you have if you're approaching or exceeding your Cap(s).

To provide UniSuper with your current address details, you have two options. You can: 

Don't forget to make sure that you've also updated your details with UniSA. You can update your address details by logging into your myUniSA portal and navigating to Personal Details.

UniSuper require some very specific information to be able to verify who you are and update your name. To help you ensure that you provide all the required information, they provide two options:

If you have any queries about the information they require in your specific situation, or any issues logging into your account, please call UniSuper on 1800 331 685.

Don't forget to let Payroll Services know that name has changed. They will need a new Tax File Number declaration form as well as a copy of documents supporting the change. This may include Drivers Licence, Passport, Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll, etc. 

Contribution Caps are limits on the amount of contribution that can be paid into your super account in a financial year. Exceeding these caps can result in additional tax being due to the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

There are two different kinds of caps:

  • Concessional Contribution Cap - this includes employer contributions (including before-tax member contributions) and personal contributions claimed as a tax deduction. The cap for the 2019-20 financial year is $25,000. 
  • Non-concessional Contribution Cap - this include personal contributions for which you do not claim an income tax deduction. The cap for the 2019-20 financial year is $100,000.

To find out what how close you are to either cap, please contact your super fund(s). 

For more information about contribution caps, please refer to the ATO website.

If you have queries regarding your membership, or are looking for some general advice, UniSuper provides a number of services to assist you.

You can also access a wide variety of educational tools through their Learning Centre, including videos, FAQs, podcasts and webcasts, or you can register to attend one of their on-campus seminars.

UniSA also has a dedicated Superannuation Officer who can assist you with understanding what your membership is, what contributions you are paying, how to change your contributions, and where you can find further information. If you're unsure where to start, feel free to have a chat.