External agencies

The University of South Australia is committed to ensuring that all staff and students have access to information about their rights and responsibilities in relation to contacting external agencies regarding employment or study arrangements.

The following information provides contact details for the various external organisations that UniSA staff and students can go to for information, advice and assistance, particularly if they feel that their rights may have been breached.

Contacts applicable for both UniSA students and staff

The Equal Opportunity Commission of South Australia (EOC)

The EOC is responsible for the implementation of the two pieces of South Australian equal opportunity legislation and for assisting people who believe that they have been unlawfully discriminated against under this legislation.

Information about the Equal Opportunity Commission can be found on their website or by contacting them on:

Phone: (08) 8207 1977
Fax: (08) 8207 2090
Freecall: 1800 188 163
Website: http://www.eoc.sa.gov.au

The Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC)

AHRC is responsible for the implementation of federal human rights and anti-discrimination law in Australia. The Commission administers five federal laws that cover discrimination and breaches of human rights.

Information about AHRC can be found on their web site or by contacting them on:

Phone: (02) 9284 9600
General enquiries: 1300 369 711
TTY: 1800 620 241
Fax: (02) 9284 9611
Website: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/

The South Australian Ombudsman Office

The Ombudsman SA Office provides free, impartial, informal and timely resolution of complaints to promote fairness, openness and good public administration in South Australia.

Information about the Ombudsman SA Office can be found on their website or by contacting them on:

Phone (08) 8226 8699
Toll Free 1800 182 150
Fax (08) 8226 8602
Website: http://www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/index.php

Contacts applicable for UniSA students

Administrative Appeals Tribunal

Certain decisions made by the University under Commonwealth Legislation may also be subject to review and reconsideration by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. In particular, this includes decisions made under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 not to refund student contribution amounts paid, re-credit Student Learning Entitlement consumed, or remit HELP debts when a student withdraws from a course after the Census Date (see University policy on Student Fees).

Information on how to refer a complaint to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal may be found at http://www.aat.gov.au/ or by contacting them on:

Phone: 1300 366 700
Email: aatweb@aat.gov.au
South Australian office: http://www.aat.gov.au/ContactUs/SA.htm

Contacts applicable for UniSA staff only

The Office of the Employee Ombudsman

The role of the Employee Ombudsman is to ensure that the rights of employees under South Australian Law are protected.

Information about the Office of the Employee Ombudsman can be found on their website or by contacting them on:

Phone: (08) 8207 1970
Fax: (08) 8207 1937
Website: http://www.premcab.sa.gov.au/dpc/department_ombudsman.html
Email: oeo@saugov.sa.gov.au

The Industrial Relations Commission of South Australia

The Industrial Relations Commission of South Australia has a major role to play in establishing enforceable conditions of employment and in providing for the prevention and resolution of disputes between employers and employees.

Information about the IRC can be found on their website or by contacting them on:

Phone: (08) 83089863
Fax: (08) 83089864
Website: http://www.industrialcourt.sa.gov.au/
Email: adelaide@air.gov.au

SafeWork SA

SafeWork SA is responsible for administering and enforcing industrial relations and occupational health, safety and welfare legislation in our State (including some administrative functions previously managed by WorkCover).

Phone: 1300 365 255
Websites: http://www.safework.sa.gov.au and http://www.stopbullyingsa.com.au/agency/swsa.asp


WorkCover provides a workers rehabilitation and compensation scheme for the South Australian community and promotes workplace health & safety.

Information about WorkCover can be found on their website or by contacting them on:

Phone: 13 18 55
Fax: (08) 8233 2466
Website: http://www.workcover.com/

National Tertiary Education Union

NTEU is a specialist national union solely representing staff in tertiary education. In all Australian universities, NTEU represents academic and research staff, general staff, ELICOS teachers, and staff of Student Unions and university companies.

Phone (08) 8223 7199
Websites: http://www.nteu.org.au/bd/unisa

Community and Public Sector Union

The CPSU (PSU Group) is one of the most active and innovative unions in Australia. CPSU (PSU Group) membership is open to employees in a wide range of industries including the public sector, telecommunications, call centres, employment services, commercial broadcasting, the aviation industry and science and research.

Phone (08) 8205 3200
Websites: http://www.cpsu.org.au/

Australian Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers' Union

The 17,000 LHMU members in South Australia come from many different industries and backgrounds including hospitals, aged care, disability services, childcare, sport and health, pubs, hotels and clubs, wine, beverages, baking, food and manufacturing and cleaning. In South Australia, LHMU members are covered by over 40 awards and over 50 enterprise agreements

Phone (08) 8352 9300
Website: http://www.lhmu.org.au/