How to Avoid Rental Scams
Beware of false rental advertisements on the internet.
Interested in student accommodation (Residential Colleges, Student Hostels, Student Apartments or Homestay)? Ensure that you are dealing with the genuine property managers. Use contact details on the UniSA Accommodation Services website.
Looking for private rental housing?
- Be very suspicious of offers that seem too good to be true
- Insist on personally inspecting the interior of the property. You should only arrange this type of accommodation when you are in Adelaide
- Do not pay any money until you have inspected the property, met the landlord and are satisfied that the offer is genuine. If paying in cash, insist on a receipt at the time of payment
- Do not send money eg. via money transfer, which is untraceable
- Use recommended lease agreements and forms in English
- If unsure, contact us for advice
Please report scammers to ACCC Scamwatch.