Review Mechanisms

For Students

Where the complainant is a student and is dissatisfied with the management of the complaint they can contact the UniSA Student Ombud, or in the event of dissatisfaction with the outcome, they can refer to the State Ombudsman.

For Staff

Where the complainant is a staff member and is dissatisfied with a decision or act of the university they should refer to the provisions listed in Staff Appeals Policy (HR-6.4).

Click here for more detailed information about our Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Policy and Procedures.