Overseas Student Health Cover

An important requirement of your student visa is that you have adequate Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while you are studying in Australia. As a full-fee paying overseas student, your original tuition fees will have included an additional charge for visa length OSHC.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have OSHC coverage for the entire time you are in Australia. Make sure you don’t let it expire!

OSHC covers you for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, emergency ambulance cover, as well as limited cover for medicines. You can buy more insurance to cover these extras if you wish.

Seeing a doctor

If you need to go to the doctor or seek health treatment while you are here, you can visit your nearest clinic or general medical practice. Make sure you bring your OSHC card with you, and then make an insurance claim later (see more detail below). UniSA has a range of community clinics and the Magill Allied Health Clinic that you can also visit.

Check with whoever is providing your insurance for their advice on visiting the doctor, their claims procedure and what you are covered for.

The following videos will help you better understand the health system in Australia. To watch in languages other than English, visit the Bupa website.



  • You must keep your address details current at all times. If you change your address you must inform your OSHC provider as well as the University.
  • OSHC is not the same as Medicare, which is the public health care provider for Australian citizens.
  • It is your responsibility to renew your health cover before the expiry date shown on your OSHC card.

Frequently Asked Questions

Need some help?

Contact a Student Adviser (International)

We're here to help give you the best possible experience at UniSA.