Your Workplace Rights and Obligations

You may wish to find a job while studying in Australia. If you are on a student visa you will need to be aware of your student visa conditions regarding work as well as understanding your workplace rights in regards to things such as pay, health and safety and working conditions.

In general, you and your dependents (if any):

• Can work only after you have commenced your program
• Up to 48 hours per fortnight during the academic year and full-time during official university semester breaks.

You can check your work conditions by using Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

Please refer to the University's academic calendar for semester dates and official study break times and for further information visit the Department of Home Affairs work conditions for student visa holders.

Your workplace rights

Before you work in Australia it is important that you are aware of your rights and obligations as an employee. The following information will help you prepare for starting work in Australia

• You will need to be issued with a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and provide this to your employer. This information is also provided in languages other than English.
• Get to know your workplace rights from the Fairwork Ombudsman and find out who to go to for help. Download the Record My Hours App to assist you with keeping track of your work hours.
South Australian Skills Comission can assist you with independent advice or guidance with problems unrelated to study including accommodation, employment or information about government services.
UniSA Legal Advice Clinic provides free, confidential legal advice on a range of matters.

Find a job

Explore UniSA Career Services, where you will find an extensive range of services, tools and resources to help you find work.

Managing your money

It is important to ensure that your part time job doesn’t negatively impact upon your studies. 

A USASA Financial Counsellor can also help you with developing a budget to help manage your finances. You can request a one-on-one appointment through the online request form.

Need some help?

Contact a Student Adviser (International)

We're here to help give you the best possible experience at UniSA.