Year on Year Comparison of Carbon Emissions
Please contact us if you would like more information on individual campus or building energy consumption.
What can I do to help?
Check out the links below or send us your ideas.
- Lower sash height whenever possible
- Identify which cupboards can be switched off safely when not in use
- Prepare equipment before switching on the fume cupboard
- Complete non-hazardous processes on the bench to reduce running time
- Avoid using fume cupboards as chemical stores wherever possible
Report faults including leaks ASAP via the online tool.
- Switch off the lights in common areas when no one is present
- Switch off your office lights when you leave your office; particularly if it is well lit by natural light
- Switch off your monitors when you leave your office for more than 15 minutes
- Where possible, put your computer into 'sleep' mode when not in use
- Switch off general equipment that is not in use. This mat include incubators, centrifuges, microscopes, analytical equipment, sterilisers and ovens
- Ensure all items with a heating function e.g. heating blocks, microscopes, PCR machines, water basins are switched off when not in active use
- Use curtains and blinds effectively
- Set your heater/cooler to a set point that is as close as possible to the ambient temperature, while still being comfortable
- Set your cooler no lower than 24 degrees and heater no higher than 20 degrees (every additional degree lower/higher uses an additional 10% of energy)