Commonwealth supported students

Commonwealth supported students take up a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and are charged a portion of the cost of their higher education through a student contribution. The Australian Government also contributes to part of the cost, through the Commonwealth contribution.

The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) allows eligible students to defer their student contribution (through HECS-HELP) and repay it later through the taxation system. Some Commonwealth supported students are not eligible for HECS-HELP.

More information about Commonwealth Supported Places

Am I eligible for a Commonwealth supported place?

To be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, you must be a domestic student and meet the residency requirements. That is, you must be: 

  • an Australian citizen who will live in Australia for at least part of your studies, or
  • a New Zealand citizen living in Australia for the duration of your program, or
  • the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa living in Australia for the duration of your program, or
  • an Australian permanent resident living in Australia for the duration of your program.

 To secure your place, you must also:

  1. Complete your Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF) via myEnrolment on or before the census date.
  2. Enrol via myEnrolment in a course before census date and remain enrolled at census date.  

Am I eligible for HECS-HELP?

Find out if you are eligible to defer your fees by taking out a HELP loan on the Eligibility for HECS-HELP

How much do I pay?

Commonwealth Supported students are required to pay a student contribution for each course. Please refer to the student contributions page to find out the student cost of the contribution required for each course.

What are my payment options?

If you are eligible for HECS-HELP, you may pay your student contribution by:

  • Making a full up front payment
  • Making a partial up front payment and obtaining a HECS-HELP loan for the remainder or
  • Taking out a HECS-HELP loan for the full amount of your student contribution

If you are ineligible for HECS-HELP you must pay your student contribution by the due date.

Please see for more information.

How do I pay?

Information about UniSA's invoicing and how to pay.

What are my responsibilities?

You are responsible for submitting a Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form by the due date, enrolling by census dates, checking your student email, reading notices and invoices and staying out of bad financial standing (BFS).