General Insurance

All insurance policies are subject to policy definitions, limits of liability, duty of disclosure, cover benefits and conditions and applicable excesses. These may not all be listed on this website. Changes to the Insurance Policies may occur throughout the policy year.

For further information visit the General Insurance FAQs page.

If you have any other questions or require details of any University insurance policy, please contact the Insurance Office on 08 8302 1678.

  • Liability insurance policies have limitations regarding USA and Canada.
  • No admission of liability is to be made to third parties.
  • UniSA has a Duty of Disclosure which obligates us to notify the Insurer of any activities that may increase their risk, or possibly give rise to a future claim. Therefore you must declare any major changes in your areas activities and any incidents that have occurred.
  • Policies expire on 01/11 each year including Medical Malpractice insurance

Summary of Policies

  • Insurer:  Newline Australia Insurance Pty Ltd
  • Policy No:  TBA

This policy provides cover for UniSA clinical trial or research participants that suffer an injury or adverse reaction even when no party is at fault. Compensation is based on pain and suffering, loss of future earnings and medical costs.

If Clinical Trials insurance is required, you must seek confirmation of cover for your Research Project from the Insurance Office.

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.


The University sector including UniSA, has had many claims for research material stored in a controlled environment.  In response, our Insurer, has implemented changes to their policy wording around research losses to drive a risk management approach and culture by Universities, in an effort to not only reduce the frequency and severity of losses but more importantly to protect important research endeavours from a loss occurring.


The key change involves a new section in the policy wording for Research Projects in which the term Controlled Environments (CE’s) is introduced.  This identifies and addresses the similarities regarding the exposures within any environment that has research conducted that requires a controlling mechanism. This could be oxygenated fish tanks, freezers/fridges, insectaries, animal houses, greenhouses, rooms that must be kept a set temperature, dewars, etc. This is not an exhaustive list and if an environment requires a controlling mechanism, then it is captured by these changes.


A clearly defined term in relation to controlled environments has been included, it is Mitigated.  For a Controlled Environment to be considered mitigated it must have:

  1. A back to base alarm that is monitored 24 hours a day. The alarm must be capable of detecting a change in the environment (temperature and power) and must be serviced to manufacturer specifications.
  2. Back-up Power capable of providing power in the event of a loss of regular power to the environment. Back-up power must be serviced in accordance with manufacturer specifications.
  3. The controlling mechanism, for example a minus 80-degree freezer, must be serviced to manufacturer specifications.
  4. A documented and tested response plan for management of research contents in the event of a failure.
  5. Valuation assessment in accordance with our insurers Research Valuation Guidelines or a similar, approved methodology. (Refer to Controlled Environment Research Guide and Valuation Tools )
  6. A variation of the above that has been assessed and approved by our insurer and noted within our policy wording.

Where the Controlled Environment does not meet the criteria of points 1-5 or a pre agreed variation (point 6), it will be considered Non-Mitigated, as a result the cover available to it is reduced.

Policy limits & Excess:

For mitigated controlled environments the policy limit is $2m any one event. Our retention (excess) is 20% of the value of the claim subject to a base excess of $100,000.  Any applicable excess is to be borne by the researcher. 

For non-mitigated controlled environments, the limit has been reduced to $250,000 for individual losses with an annual aggregate of $500,000 i.e. the maximum UniSA can claim in any one policy year for this type of loss is $500,000. Our retention is 50% of the loss subject to a base excess of $100,000

The base excess increased from $10,000 to $100,000 at renewal in November 2019.  As a result Corporate Finance has undertaken to give consideration to offsetting any financial disadvantage to a Researcher caused as a result of the increased excess. Refer to the tables below to see how the excess will operate in different loss scenarios and how much of any loss is borne by each stakeholder.

Valuing research:

Determining the value of research samples for insurance purpose can be a complex task given the wide-ranging variety of research undertaken by UniSA. Adopting the following 10 principles can assist to simplify the process. These principles are:

  1. The nature of each research project is different
  2. The value of samples cannot exceed the value of the projects total funding
  3. There are administration costs associated with a research project
  4. Primary samples must be collected or created.
  5. Samples are analysed using many different techniques.
  6. There are costs associated with lab space and the storage and maintenance of samples
  7. Insurable value is a function of the time, effort and cost to replace samples
  8. Samples do not increase in value over time
  9. Not all samples can be replaced
  10. Samples derived from multiple research projects may be kept in a single device or environment.

To assist you in valuing your research refer to the Controlled Environment Research Guide and Valuation Tools 


  • Insurer:  Chubb Insurance Ltd
  • Policy No:  Staff (this policy applies to PhD students): 03PP005662  |  Students: 03PP006335

UniSA will automatically insure the following persons while travelling on behalf of UniSA:

  • staff
  • senior staff spouse and children
  • students undertaking study related travel
  • research students
  • non-employees for whom the University arranges and in most cases funds travel

You must registration of all travel plans with International SOS - via completion of a Business Travel Request (‘BTR’) form; both of which are mandatory requirement for all staff and students travelling as part of a university program.

To access the BTR, navigate to your Business Travel portal in Appian. Your portal provides links to the BTR form and your Traveller Profile (which must be updated before each request), as well as links to your current and historic BTRs (when initiated within Appian).

University Travel Insurance coverage is automatically assessed based on your specific answers given within the BTR, follow any directions given in relation to Travel Insurance Cover which appear at the end of the BTR process.

Unless travel arrangements are registered on a BTR prior to commencement of travel, lodging a claim for any event giving rise to a claim, will be problematic.    

It is also strongly recommended that staff and students resister their travel plans with the Australian Government's Smarttraveller service:

Further information:

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  Zurich Australian Insurance Ltd
  • Policy No:  42 EP00040 GNX

This policy covers losses a Director or Officer has become legally obligated to pay on account of any claim against them for wrongful acts committed before or during the policy period while acting on behalf of UniSA.

Cover is also provided for persons holding outside directorships with the knowledge and consent of UniSA (written authorisation should be obtained for outside directorships that have University approval).

  • Insurer:  Lloyds of London


  • the University's permanent art collection, Samstag Museum of Art, as per declared schedule
  • exhibitions as declared to the Insurance Office (this must be done at least 5 days prior for cover to be placed and confirmed)

This policy holds a nil excess therefore any loss amount will be claimable.

  • Insurers:  Unimutual
  • Policy No: UNISA 20 PR

This policy covers loss, destruction or damage to property that the University owns or has accepted responsibility to insure prior to the loss, destruction or damage.

For example theft and damage of University equipment, cost of replacing/changing locks after loss of keys etc.

This policy contains a number of sub-limits and differing excess amounts, however the standard excess is $100,000 for loss of University property. If your loss is over $10,000, please contact the Insurance office whether financial assistance maybe available to you. 

  • Insurer:  Chubb Insurance Limited
  • Policy No:  03PJ005685

This policy is designed to cover death, disablement or loss of income (subject to a 7 day excess) following an accident while travelling directly to or from work. The policy has been extended to also cover authorised meal breaks. This would include any staff activities in relation to participating in VC Cup during your authorised meal break.

If you are the third party involved in a Motor Vehicle accident you would claim under the Compulsory Third Party Bodily Injury insurance included in vehicle registration before attempting to claim against the University's Journey insurance.

All staff who suffer an accident whilst in the workplace are directed to contact Human Resources for advice on Workers Compensation (also for a definition on "workplace").

  • Insurer:  Newline Australia Insurance Pty Ltd
  • Policy No:  AUS1893410SA

This policy serves to cover the University's staff and students for possible medical negligence exposure (excluding clinical trials which are insured under a separate Clinical Trials policy).

This policy will also provide cover when the University's staff and students are providing a professional service on behalf of UniSA that could possibly result in death or bodily injury.

We must hold Medical Malpractice insurance because our Public Liability and Professional Indemnity policies have exclusions relating to bodily injury. If Medical Malpractice Insurance is required, you must have either a signed Placement Agreement (PDF 159KB) or Affiliation Agreement with the Host organisation, or confirmation of cover for your Research Project from the Insurance Office.

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  CGU Insurance Limited
  • Policy No:  24F2434681

Any licensed driver authorised to drive a University vehicle will be covered by this policy, standard exclusions still apply. This policy covers loss or damage to the University's vehicle and the legal liability out of the use of the University's vehicle Australia wide.

The standard excess for this policy is $500, however an additional Age and Inexperienced Driver excess also applies (breakage of glass on vehicles up to 2 tonne carries a nil excess).

UniSA does not provide insurance for staff personal vehicles, see the section below for further details. Employees who are required to use their own vehicles for work related purposes must have the vehicle comprehensively insured. Please refer to Use of Private Vehicle for Business Travel guidelines (PDF 441KB) for more details. 

Vehicles that are leased under an agreement such as LeasePlan (salary sacrifice) should be referred to the leasing company. LeasePlan buys the insurance for these vehicles through Lumley General. If you wish to enquire about a LeasePlan vehicle call Mary Radimissis on 08 8302 3499 or LeasePlan on 08 8292 7512; or if your enquiry relates to payroll salary sacrifice call Payroll Services on 08 8302 2911.

Non University Person sharing the Driving/Travelling in UniSA Pool Vehicle

For passengers that are not UniSA staff or students, they would need to have their own insurance protection. The University staff member must have approval to have the non-university passenger accompany them/drive the Pool vehicle on University business. All children must be restrained in a suitable approved restraint that is properly adjusted and fastened.

The University’s insurances only provide protection for University staff and or students.

If there was a motor vehicle accident, CTP insurance would apply and potentially WorkCover, depending on when the vehicle was used.

If they have approval, it must be clear that the staff member accepts all liability etc for the non-university passenger and the University cannot be held responsible for any incident involving or caused by the non-university passenger (unless the University was negligent and caused the incident). Our insurances do not cover the non-university passenger and therefore the staff member should ensure their passenger has appropriate insurance cover (such as private health cover) and a current valid driver’s licence if driving the pool vehicle.

Please note all University Pool vehicles (LeasePlan Australia leased vehicles) have comprehensive vehicle insurance.

(Note: Lumley General is also the insurer for the University's vehicles however the policies are separate and the insurance for leased vehicles is not managed by UniSA).

Motor vehicle insurance claim procedures

  1. Contact the Insurance Office regarding your eligibility to claim. Losses below our excess can not be claimed.
  2. Notify your Cost Centre Manager that you are placing an Insurance Claim. The Cost Centre will be required to cover the cost of the Insurance Policy excess (usually $500, but higher excesses apply for inexperienced drivers).
  3. Lodge a claim direct with CGU by phoning 132480 and quote policy number 24F2434681.
  4. Alternatively you can obtain a claim form from the Insurance Office. Once your claim form is lodged, CGU will make contact with you to discuss your repair options.
  5. When the assessor has inspected the vehicle and authorised the repairs, the repairer now has approval to commence work on your vehicle.
  6. BEFORE collecting your vehicle you must arrange payment to the repairer in the amount of the applicable Insurance Policy Excess. (Standard excess $500, other excess amounts may apply as above.) You can pay this on University Credit Card, or by FS03 Expenditure Claim.
  7. Collect the vehicle. No further paperwork is required.

Insurance Cover for Private Vehicles on University Business

UniSA does not generally provide insurance for staff personal vehicles. Employees who are required to use their own vehicles for work related purposes must have the vehicle comprehensively insured. Please refer to Use of Private Vehicle for Business Travel guidelines (PDF 441KB) for more details.

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  Chubb Insurance Limited
  • Policy Nos:  03VG005689  |  03PO005686  |  03PO005687  |  03PO005035

The University has purchased Personal Accident Policies to cover:

  • Voluntary Workers while working or travelling directly to or from.
  • Students on Placement or travelling directly to or from.
  • Aviation Students.
  • Students undertaking any University related activity.

These policies are designed to cover death, disablement or loss of income following an accident. Limited cover is provided for medical expenses, but does not apply to any part of an expense that is wholly or partially claimable through Medicare. Contact the Insurance Office for more detail.

If you are the third party involved in a Motor Vehicle accident you would claim under the Compulsory Third Party Bodily Injury insurance included in vehicle registration before attempting to claim against the University's Personal Accident insurance.

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  Zurich Insurance Australia Ltd
  • Policy No:  42EP00041GPI

This policy covers loss arising from any claim in respect of Civil Liability for "breach of duty owed in a professional capacity", and also for "libel or slander" made against the employee or the University.

To obtain an Insurance Certifcate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  Unimutual
  • Policy No:  UNISA 19 GPL

This policy covers the University's legal liability to pay damages or compensation arising out of personal injury or damage to property caused by an occurrence in connection with our business, including expenses in defence or settlement of a claim with the insurers consent.

To obtain an Insurance Certificate of Currency.

  • Insurer:  National Transport Insurance
  • Policy No:  46065340

The University has purchased a transit policy to cover:

  • Transportation of "goods" from Campus to Campus - Consisting of desks, computers, office equipment and scientific equipment.
  • Transportation of "goods" within Australia and overseas - Consisting of furniture, computers and electronic equipment, scientific equipment and instruments, and property we have accepted responsibility to insure.
  • Transportation of Artworks within Australia.
  • Research Samples are not automatically insured in transit.  Please contact the Insurance Office if this cover is required).

With differing policy limits of liability and excess amounts.


Conditions to note:

  • Cover is automatic for domestic artwork transits up to $50,000 per conveyance.
  • Cover is automatic for domestic transit of 'goods' up to $200,000 and overseas transit of 'goods' up to $100,000 per conveyance (the policy excludes cover to high risk countries, please contact the Insurance Office for clarification).
  • Transit limits are per conveyance. A conveyance is the total value of goods being moved at the one time, not their individual values.
  • If the value of a conveyance exceeds policy limits you will need to complete a Transit Declaration Form (DOCX 21.8KB) and send it to the Insurance Office for processing.
  • Additional premiums for extensions to the transit policy apply and payment is the responsibility of the cost centre involved.
  • Please allow 5 working days, prior to transit, for processing.
  • Equipment will need to be completely checked and assessed for damage upon arrival and return. This should be considered when any signatures are requested on delivery paperwork. According to the Policy Wording, 10.1.4, the University's obligation is: "On receipt of any suspect or obviously damaged goods, note the extent and type of damage on the consignment note or similar document".