Staff ID Card


For Human Resource processes and Conditions of Use in regards to Staff ID card please refer to   


Why do I need to have a Staff ID and Access Card?

The purpose of the Staff ID and Access Card project is to implement a multi-use card for:

  • Visual identification of staff
  • Access to Cardax controlled buildings
  • Monitored photocopying and printing services
  • Library services

How do I know if I am eligible for a Staff ID and Access Card?

To receive an identification card an individual must be

  • A staff member holding either a continuing, fixed term or casual appointment on a full time or fractional basis; or
  • An associate of the University affiliated with the University in an honorary capacity as conferred by Council.

Do I need to have my photo taken and image displayed on the card?

Yes. An exemption based on cultural or religious grounds can be made to the Director: Human Resources.

How do I get my Staff ID Card?

Staff ID cards are issued by the FM Assist office on each Campus at the beginning of your employment.

How do I get my Staff ID Card if I am based at Whyalla or Mount Gambier?

Staff located at the Whyalla campus can obtain their cards by having their image captured on existing equipment located in Campus Central. The image will be forwarded to a nominated FMU Public Folder for processing. The card will then be posted back to the staff member. Staff located at Mt Gambier campus will be contacted individually by FMU and staff will work with them to assist them in obtaining their staff ID card.

How long does the process take?

The process takes around 3 minutes to capture the photo and print a card.

Do I need to bring anything with me?

Staff will need to bring another form of photo identification eg Drivers Licence, Passport. It is necessary for obsolete Cardax (Building Access) cards to be surrendered prior to receipt of the new Staff ID Card.

Will there be any changes to my  building access?

There will be no changes to any access currently granted on individual cards. For card users in buildings with proximity readers (currently Hawke Building at City West and building X, Eco Precinct and partial Building Q at Mawson Lakes) Staff ID Cards will need to be presented for encoding at the Security office. This process takes 2-3 minutes and can be done immediately upon receipt of the card as the printing stations will be located next to Security on all campuses.

Can I punch a hole in my card?

It is the recommendation that card holders and lanyards be used opposed to punching holes in the cards. The cards contain a loop antennae for Cardax and any damage to this will render the card ineffective for access to buildings.

Will I receive a lanyard or card holder with my card?

No. Both items can be purchased via Corporate Express

What happens if I lose or damage my card?

If a card is lost, stolen or damaged, then the loss or damage must be reported to the local security office immediately or as soon as practicable after the cardholder becoming aware of the loss or damage.

Do I need to wear my Staff ID Card?

While there is no requirement for Staff ID Cards to be displayed the card should be carried by staff at all times and presented upon request of an Authorised Person.

Who is an Authorised Person?

Authorised Persons are University Council approved individuals for the purpose of exercising the powers conferred on an authorised person by these by-laws. This could include people who are non employees – i.e. employees of external organisations who supply security services to the University.

How long is my card valid for?

Staff ID Cards are valid for the life cycle of the staff member and will be forfeited upon ceasing employment.