Use of BBQ Facilities


FM Assist is responsible for the management and bookings for the Barbecue Facilities on each of the University campuses. These facilities are available for use at no cost to:

  • Staff, 
  • Student Groups/Clubs/Societies who are affiliated with the University of South Australia Students Association,
  • Student user groups that have the approval of their General Manager

There is a minimum charge for the use of these facilities to non-affiliated student groups and external hirers.


If you are a student and wish to book the barbecue facilities you will be required to submit a Functions & Facility hire form for approval. It is recommended the form be submitted at least 1 week prior to the event. 


Staff who wish to book the barbecue facilities are required to submit a Functions & Facility hire form for approval. It is recommended the form be submitted at least 1 week prior to the event.

Operating Guidelines

It is imperative that all users have read the Electric Barbecue Usage Agreement and the Food Act 2001 to meet the requirements of the Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code. Please refer to the SA Health website.

Use of Alcohol

Staff that wish to consume and/or keep alcohol on University premises must seek authorisation from the relevant Campus Facilities Manager. A limited licence will normally be required for Academic / Business Unit functions where the alcohol is not being provided by a licensed caterer/business. (Refer:

Online limited licence applications with prior approval of the Campus Facilities Manager must be lodged with the Office of Consumer and Business Services at least:

  • 14 days prior to the event; or 60 days prior to the event if it is a large commercial or high risk event (festival, multi-day event).
  • The limited licence must be provided to FM Assist to allow for final approval of the function to be confirmed.
  • The limited licence must be displayed at the event.
  • A copy of a caterer's liquor licence must be provided prior to the event if a caterer is serving alcohol at an event on campus.

 For further information on liquor licensing requirements please refer to the Office of the Consumer and Business Services Commissioner:

If you require further information on the barbecue facilities provided please contact the campus FM Assist office.

Function & Facility Hire Application User instructions

For information on how to complete the Function & Facility hire application, please refer to our user instructions or contact your local campus FM Assist.