Specialist Equipment

What is 'specialist equipment'?

Specialist Equipment can include, but not be limited to:

  • Laboratory equipment used in research or teaching
  • Workshop Equipment
  • 3D Printers
  • Heavy equipment where floor loading needs to be considered
  • Equipment that generates exhaust, high levels of heat or high noise levels
  • Equipment that requires the installation of new services or infrastructure (Examples include higher amperage (15 Amp or greater) power point, data port, laboratory or specialists gases, purified water, remote monitoring, fume extraction)

What do I need to do if I'm installing/moving/modifying 'specialist equipment'?

Please contact your Campus FM Assist office as the installation of services to support your equipment can be substantial and should be taken into account when budgeting for installing/moving/modifying specialist equipment. The FM Assist team can assist you by obtaining quotes, ensuring installations meet regulatory standards and offering project management assistance during the delivery/installation/assembly stage.

Examples of equipment purchases or relocations that require you to contact FMU:

  • Gas chromatography that needs laboratory gases plumbed to the equipment and/or fume extraction installed
  • Metal lathe weighing 800kg and requiring a 30 Amp power point to be installed
  • Equipment that is large and needs assistance to put into an area e.g. corridors need to be clear, ensure lift weight can accommodate equipment etc

Examples of equipment purchases that do not require you to contact FMU:

  • Benchtop laboratory centrifuge that runs on a standard 10 Amp power point
  • Cordless drill

Please note that delivery, installation, assembly, and maintenance of specialist equipment is not covered by FMU and should be funded by the local area.