Flexible Study Options

Service obligations, deployments, and other related responsibilities can cause unavoidable disruption to your study plans. Our flexible study options can help you balance your study with other commitments to put you on the path to success.

Study Plans

If you will be away for long periods of time or have service commitments, it may be helpful to arrange a study plan to meet your needs, where possible. Your Program Director is the main contact for this. You can work with them to negotiate attendance alternatives and discuss how best to manage your study/work schedules. It is a good idea to also connect with your tutors and course coordinators along the way.


Access Plans

An Access Plan is a confidential document which provides information about the impact of a student’s disability, impairment, mental health condition or chronic health issue on their studies. 

We encourage you to connect with UniSA Access and Inclusion Services as early as possbile, to discuss your needs and determine if you require an Access Plan. 

Your access Access Plan will:

  • document the agreed services that will be provided by Access and Inclusion, including any alternative exam arrangements if required, and
  • help you to negotiate reasonable academic adjustments with University staff.

Find out more


Alternative Assessment Arrangements

We recognise that things may come up that get in the way of your study plans. It is expected that you will be proactive about managing your schedule and commitments, however there are a range of special considerations that will allow you to ask extensions for assignments, deferral (reschedule) of an exam, and options to withdraw from courses. 

Course coordinators are responsible for providing students with 'reasonable adjustments', which can include extensions of time to complete an assessment task on the basis of your service commitments. It is important to check your course outlines for details about extension procedures, as they can vary between courses. 

  • Applications for any extensions are made through the LearnOnline course website.
  • The application should be made before the due date of the assignment/assessment.
  • In your application, note that you are a serving/ex-serving ADF personnel, first responder or their immediate family, and clearly state your reason(s) for the request.
  • Provide supporting evidence for your request.
  • Request an extension until a date which is realistic (e.g. you will have enough time to complete the assessment task) and reasonable (e.g. ideally within days rather than weeks).

Find out more about requesting an extension.

You can apply for a secondary assessment (deferred or rescheduled) based on special consideration of your circumstances.

You will need to apply for the secondary assessment within five days of your exam or final assessment due date. If the request has not been submitted within five working days of the assessment, your online application should include a written statement explaining the reason for the delay in lodging the form.


Off-campus exam arrangements

If you have been granted a secondary exam but your commitments require you to travel during the exam period, you can apply to sit your exam(s) at an alternative location.


How to apply

In your application, note that you are a serving/ex-serving ADF personnel, first responder or their immediate family, and include the following supporting documentation:

  • Evidence of your deployment, service commitment, healthcare service provider or UniSA Access Plan.

Find out more about secondary assessments and how to apply.

We know that university study can be challenging and that plans can change. Sometimes it is necessary to look at your study plan, consider your options or ask for help.

If you think you may not pass a course due to extended absences, difficulties or special circumstances, you can look at your options about whether or not to stay enrolled in all or some of your courses. When exploring options, it may be useful to consider reducing your courseload or withdrawing from courses that aren’t going well to focus on the courses that are going well.

If you would like to withdraw from one or all courses, please check the key dates for the relevant study period. It is important for you to understand how your choices can impact your grades and future studies.

Find out more about how to drop courses.

Relocations and Cross-Institutional Study

If your professional commitments require you to relocate, you may be able to study subjects at another university and receive credit towards your degree. This is known as 'cross-institutional study'.

Find out more

Contact Us

For more information about VEEP...



For assistance with student services and matters of student administration

UniSA Campus Central
Phone: 1300 301 703



For enquiries about UniSA's Defence partnerships...

Matt Opie
Director: Defence & Space
Phone: +618 8302 9127