Leaving UniSA

What you need to do when you leave UniSA will depend on your personal circumstances. We would encourage you to seek independent financial advice to help you make the right decision.

Below are some things you may wish to consider. 


One of the key intents of super is to allow you to self-fund your retirement, whether entirely or in part. If you’re retiring, or planning to retire, from the workforce, you may need to consider things like:

  • your budget and how much you will need to fund your lifestyle
  • how much super you have
  • whether you can access your super
  • what other support might be available
  • how you can make your super fund your retirement

MoneySmart.gov.au provides a number of resources that can be useful to help you understand when you can access your super and other government benefits, what you might get in retirement, and how your income in retirement might be taxed. A conversation with your super fund can help you understand what super benefits you have available.

Changing employers

When you change employment, it’s a good time to review your current super fund settings, your insurance benefits, investment strategies and beneficiaries.  This might be as simple as logging on to your super funds’ member portal, or you may want to take a more comprehensive review.

Remember, if you're wanting to keep your current super fund, you should give your new employer a Choice of Fund election form. Your fund should be able to provide you with a Choice of Fund election form to complete. 

Super for temporary residents

If you were on a temporary resident visa while working for UniSA you may be eligible to have your super paid to you as a lump sum once your visa has ceased to be in effect and you have left Australia. This is known as a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). You can lodge an online DASP application through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). These payments may have tax deducted. You can find out more about this process on the ATO website.

Helpful Links